As a NON EC citizen you are allowed to drive in Germany for six months with your national license after having established a permanent residency.
When you have to take tests for the conversion you need the following documents:
- valid personal ID or passport with photo and signature
- valid national driverís license and its translation (done by ADAC e.g.)
- certificate for taking up a permanent German residency (Meldebescheinigung des Einwohnermeldeamtes)
- recent passport photo
- eye test certificate (e.g. from an optician)
- certificate for "Immediate Life-Saving Measures"
- registration form of your driving school
- administrational fee of app. 45,- &euro
Your application for the conversion has to be handed in at the driverís license office of your first residency (Kreisverwaltungsreferat or Landratsamt).
You will get notified by us, when your application has been approved. Please, sign up for the written test in the office two weeks ahead. Arrange the drivng test with your driving instructor. The test fees are due one week prior to the test. Payments to the driving school can be made cash or via bank transfer.
Please bring your passport for every test Ö